In 20 minutes you can enjoy this hearty vegetarian dish from Cooking Light. It’s ideal for a festive brunch or easy dinner party. The mushroom sauce tempers the rich fontal cheese and melt-in-your-mouth polenta. If you can’t find fontal or fontina cheese, use provolone, gruyere or gouda instead.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (4-ounce) packages exotic mushroom blend, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/3 cup organic vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup instant polenta (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fontal or fontina cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes. Add herbs and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in 1/3 cup broth, juice, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
Bring milk and 1 1/2 cups broth to a boil. Stir in polenta; cook 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in half of cheese and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Divide polenta among 4 gratin dishes; top with remaining cheese. Broil 5 minutes. Top each serving with 1/2 cup mushrooms.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 gratin
Per serving: Calories: 374; Total Fat: 18g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 43mg; Sodium: 518mg; Carbohydrate: 37g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 9g; Protein 17g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 695mg; Iron: 6%; Vitamin A: 24%; Vitamin C: 8%; Calcium: 37%